Domestic Abuse Counselor
Full time position
General Summary of primary position:
Provides individual counseling to clients experiencing or having had experienced domestic abuse.
- Responsibilities include: contacting potential clients, providing and scheduling and managing appointments. Services will include individual counseling and support group facilitation. Will also work with community partners to bring awareness of services to the community and to identify victims and their need and readiness for counseling. Will include screening for referrals and will make alternate referrals when appropriate.
- Schedules individual appointments with clients and provides phone counseling and support. Provides letters of counseling attendance, if requested. Coordinates, creates, evaluates, implements and facilitates designated support groups and psychoeducational classes in the community.
- Attends and participates in staff, peer support and professional supervision.
- Provides a positive, professional and enthusiastic image of the agency to the community at large. Upholds shelter policies and procedures. When work in primary position is not available, may perform other duties according to skill and availability.
- A minimum of three years’ experience working with victims of domestic violence including diverse people and groups.
- Preferred Master’s degree in social sciences, Bachelor’s degree with equivalent experience.
- Knowledge of and sensitivity to domestic violence issues and an expressed commitment to the empowerment of victims and survivors of abuse.
- This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of the work performed, not necessarily an exhaustive list of duties.
Position reports to Director of Community Services
Send resumes to: Deborah Ferrante. Manager of Counseling Services at email@example.com